Tuesday 27 March 2012

Spring Cleaning

This is the time of year when everyone wants to open the windows, let the fresh air in, and get rid of all the clutter that has been weighing us down all winter.

I was able to donate a ton of clothes, shoes and house ware items to our local charity shop. After I was done purging the old, I decided I should organize what was left.

The mess: our bathroom storage (aka Ikea shelves). The former residents of our house took the bathroom cabinet with them (odd?), so a cheap and cheerful solution was two open shelves. It seemed like a great idea at the time, until they turned into this...
Before
Sadly, this is actually what they looked like, I didn't mess it up to make the 'before' uglier.

I knew that a) this could be improved and b) it wouldn't cost much. I looked around for storage vessels that I could use. I found a small mason jar, and a bunch of square vases left over from my wedding.



I grouped the miscellaneous boxes into a basket (to hide their un-prettiness), and used the various glass containers to hold other bathroom necessities.




The result:

After
Much nicer, no? Total cost of the makeover $6 for the basket, everything else was already here. It just goes to show that it doesn't take much to make your life feel refreshed and organized.

That's one room down, many more to go...

xx E.

ps. the funny (read: not-so-lovely) part is that as I was standing there, admiring my work, the bracket on the top shelf gave out, which ended up taking the bottom shelf down with it, resulting in broken glass, cotton balls and make up brushes everywhere. I was not thrilled. Husband will be re-installing them for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always lovely!

Pin It button on image hover