Wednesday 5 September 2012

The Big Visit

Well yesterday evening was the end of a wonderful visit from my in-laws. We packed a lot into the long weekend. When they first arrived, we made sure to get to the Keg to get them some delicious Canadian steak. As if we weren't full enough, we stopped for ice cream on the way home.

out for ice cream
On Saturday, we went to the Greenbelt Harvest Picnic, which was basically a hippie festival in support of local farmers and the prevention of turning the escarpment into quarries. We went with my parents to take in the music, and the food :) Much to my surprise/delight, Mix Master Mike (of the Beastie Boys) was one of the artists and he didn't disappoint!


fam jam

a food truck feast

On Sunday, we set off early to go to the airshow at The Ex. Although I knew it would be really busy getting there, I definitely didn't anticipate the two hour drive and crazy traffic jam. We saw the beginning of the show right from the car. We couldn't park anywhere near the Ex, so we ended up getting down to the waterfront to watch the planes fly by. It all worked out in the end, but I was near meltdown that afternoon.

air show as seen from the queens quay

On the holiday Monday, we went a different route. We went to Elora Gorge to go tubing down the gorge. I don't have any pictures because we couldn't bring a camera down the river, but let me tell you, it was a lot of fun! The downside...Nick's tube popped (which is likely my fault because I convinced him to stop on a rock with me). So after it popped, he had to walk/swim down the rest of the way - there's no way out once you get in there. We decided that it was best to have that happen to Nick, because if had happened to any one of the rest of us, he would probably have to have given us his tube anyway! All that aside, I would totally recommend it.

We had lots of great meals, time spent catching up and chatting and of course, playing cow/monkey/fish/goat - an Ellison family staple.

xx E.

Ps. did I mention we miss them already??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always lovely!

Pin It button on image hover