Wednesday 27 March 2013

Restaurant Review: The Alex

To celebrate my birthday, Nick took me to a restaurant that I've been dying to try for quite some time. The Alex, in Burlington.



The idea behind The Alex is small plates. So you could order two or three things to make up your meal.

Before I go any further, let me just say that we went there on March 23 at 8:30pm - aka Earth Hour. In respect of this, they turned the lights as low as they could go (leaving the lights in the kitchen on, obviously). So we truly dined by candlelight. I really loved that they were willing to cut the lights, and it actually made the meal more romantic.

We wanted to get a good variety so that we could share with each other. To start I ordered the cheese plate and Nick ordered cheddar crab cakes with guacamole. As soon as they put the food down in front of us, I knew I was going to love it.



For our next course, Nick ordered andouille sausage stuffed chicken wings with bubble and squeak. What is bubble and squeak, you ask? Excellent question. It is mashed potatoes, cooked up with cabbage - stay with me on this - it's typically made from leftover dinners, and it's called bubble and squeak because that's what happens while it's cooking.

I ordered seafood paella. I don't know what special ingredient they use, but wowee it was so delicious.



The beauty (or downfall, depending on your perspective) of eating small plates is that you feel like it's ok to have dessert. So we obliged. I had sticky toffee pudding topped with apple compote. Nick had lemon sour cream cake. My mouth is watering as I'm writing this. Both were excellent and actually they were a great combination, the toffee pudding was so sweet, and the lemon cake balanced it nicely.



The service was quite good. Attentive, knowledgeable but not pretentious. I like a place where I can crack jokes with the servers (you know, because I'm so hilarious). The price points are a bit higher than average but I will say this, for the quality of the food the prices are fair.



Don't we look happy? And pleasantly full? We were.

Ps. I was in love with the painting over our booth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always lovely!

Pin It button on image hover