Tuesday 5 November 2013

Let's Talk About Neighbours


When I grew up, I grew up in a place that was very neighbourly. We played together in the streets. Our parents hosted bbq's and backyard parties. We were friends. Sometimes I wonder if that was a unique situation, however I tend to believe that was the norm for the 80's and 90's.

Since then, I have lived in several different types of housing in several different neighbourhoods. I can't really say that any of my neighbours have been neighbourly.

My theory is that with the onslaught of the internet, and specifically social media, has caused the end of neighbours. People are able to stay in touch with friends from their childhood and university and therefore are less likely to seek out new friendships from their neighbours. Personally, it really makes me sad.

I thought once we moved into our new condo that we may end up meeting some of our neighbours, but so far, people seem to avoid eye contact if possible, and basically avoid conversation. Halloween was the kicker, when no one (even the loud child that lives upstairs) came trick-or-treating in our complex.

People, I'm begging you, say hi to your neighbours today. Invite them over for dinner, or a drink, or even a cup of coffee. Bring back neighbours who are more than just the people who live around you. Please and thanks.

image via

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always lovely!

Pin It button on image hover